- The team does not have an elite (or even a good) base stealer (David Wright? Maybe…) without him. Jordany Valdespin is a threat to swipe a bag and actually seems to have improved his instincts a little so he’s not 100% ability when running.
- Fielding is a thing you might want. Let us pretend that Lucas Duda was hitting (Is this late 2011?) now… are the runs he’d bat in worth the runs that will score because he can’t get to shots in the outfield? Valdespin hasn’t played OF for long… but neither has Duda.
- The Benefits of Collin Cowgill and Marlon Byrd are that they can play multiple positions in the outfield but they are going to be best used if they do not have to hit against righties that often. Sadly… Mike Baxter isn’t earning much of a role.
- Valdespin can play the infield. Not for nothing, the kid can play 2B and SS in a pinch. Mike Baxter, Lucas Duda, Kirk Nieuwenhuis etc… not so much.
- Upside is not something we really see with Byrd, Cowgill, Baxter or Nieuwenhuis. If Valdespin actually put everything together, he’d be a force.
Reason Why Not:
An apparent lack of maturity.
Here’s the idea: Give him his shot and if he fails… it’s a great year to throw darts blindly at the board and hope one sticks.