How do you celebrate clinching the NL East for the first time since 2006? The Mets did it by sending out a lineup with seven reserves, Michael Conforto and Jacob deGrom. And this makeshift lineup gave the Mets their third straight blowout win with an 8-1 victory over the Reds.
- With the win, the Mets finished 7-0 this year against the Reds. It was the fifth four-game sweep of the year for New York and the 15th overall sweep.
- Making his first appearance since 9/15, deGrom struck out nine over six innings and allowed just one run. He picked up his 14th win of the season.
- The makeshift lineup pounded out 13 hits, led by Dilson Herrera, who had three hits, including a homer. Herrera had a shot at the cycle but flew out to left field in the ninth. He also had a walk in the game.
- Cleanup hitter Kevin Plawecki also homered. As a team the Mets now have 172 HR this season.
- Reds fans didn’t go home completely disappointed. Reds pitchers struck out 11 Mets, which gave all fans in the park free pizza.