It was 50 years ago today that Tom Seaver had one of the greatest starts of his career. He pitched a complete game and gave up just two hits and one run. But what made this game special was that he struck out 19 batters, including the final 10 of the game. Sure, it was the second-year San Diego Padres but no one holds it against Sandy Koufax for beating up the expansion-era Mets and Astros so don’t even think about trying to diminish Seaver’s great day, which produced a Game Score of 96.
Okay, after some solid baseball content in the first graph, let’s head off in a different direction. First, let there be no doubt that what’s to follow is a direct rip-off of David Capobianco from Amazin’ Avenue, who a few days ago asked readers to share information about themselves in an attempt for everyone to answer and discuss. It would be nice if you answered all of them but if one (or more) of them makes you uncomfortable in any way – just skip it and do the rest.
1. What is your first name? – Brian
2. Where do you live (e.g., state, city/state, country)? – North Carolina
3. Where are you from originally? – Staten Island
4. How did you become a Mets fan? – Older brothers
5. What is your dream job? – Mets GM
6. When and how did you find Mets360? – Co-Founder
7. Who is your favorite historical Met and your favorite current Met? – Duffy Dyer & Brandon Nimmo
8. What Met, past or present, do you dislike irrationally? – I like to think the ones I hate the most are all rational. But I was told that I had to like Tommie Agee because he was a World Series hero. Yet it was more important to me that he was just as bad as Jim Fregosi for most of the ’72 season.
9. Who is your favorite band or musician and song? – Well, my son has a band and I’m sort of partial to him so I’ll say The Burnt Biscuits. But if you make playing Madison Square Garden a requirement, I’ll go with Neil Young.
10. What is your favorite book? – With blogs, newspapers and magazines these days, I don’t read many non-sports books. In school I liked “The Crucible” and “A Farwell to Arms.”
11. What is your favorite movie? – Can’t really pick one but I bet it would have Jack Nicholson or Robert DeNiro in it.
12. What is your favorite TV show, past and present? – “WKRP in Cincinnati” & “Breaking Bad” (give me a break, it was this century.)
13. What pets, if any, do you have? – Just lost my dog. Still have one indoor and two outdoor cats.
14. What do you like to do for fun, non-baseball-related? Listen to my son play his gigs and going on day trips with my daughter. Last one we went on was a trip to the Weymouth Woods Nature Preserve.
15. What’s your drink of choice? I’ve started to drink Deer Park’s Black Cherry flavored Sparkling Water. Our local grocery store sells an 8-pack for $2.99 so I thought I’d check to see what kind of price I could get on Amazon. Not sure if it’s COVID price-gouging or what but they sell the exact same 8-pack for $20.99.
16. The world is scary, so what’s something that has made you happy recently? Going through some boxes of old stuff, I found four 1969 Citgo Mets portraits that I purchased from ebay around 20 years ago. Had no idea what happened to them. Now just need to find the originals I had from back in the day and see if I have the full set or if I need to fill it out.
Now, let’s hear yours!